[mythtv-users] Can't get system to wake up at set time.

Craig Huff huffcs at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 18 13:32:16 UTC 2007

I just learned something that I need to clarify.  I didn't realize that I could initiate a shutdown of a running linux system by pressing the front panel power button until today when I tried to go around the running system with a hardware shutdown.

When I said before that I could get the system to wake up at a time set in the hardware alarm clock, what I did to accomplish that was to set the alarm clock with nvram-wakeup, reboot linux, force the rebooting system into the BIOS, and then press the front panel power button.  While in the BIOS, pressing the power button causes the BIOS to shut the system down without needing an operating system running.  This works.  Shutting down from within linux (specifically Fedora Core 6) doesn't do something right as far as the motherboard/BIOS is concerned and it never wakes up when the alarm clock setting arrives.

Any suggestions or pointers to other places to seek help?

Craig Huff
huffcs at yahoo.com