[mythtv-users] Odd issue with two TVs, Two Video Cards and HDMI

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 17:00:31 UTC 2007

On 3/17/07, Brent <brent at brentnorris.net> wrote:
> Steven Adeff wrote:
> > On 3/17/07, Brent <brent at brentnorris.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Video Cards:
> >>     ATI Radeon 9550
> >>     ASUS M2NPV-VM with onboard NVIDIA GeForce 6150
> >> HDTVs:
> >>     RCA HD50LPW42 (50 inch DLP Projection TV)
> >>     Ilo 32inch LCD (My wife is asleep in there, so can't check the model)
> >>
> >> Both TVs have HDMI on them, both video cards have DVI out.
> >>
> >> ATI -> RCA : works
> >> NVIDIA -> RCA: doesn't work
> >> NVIDIA -> Ilo: works
> >>
> >> and when I say doesn't work for the NVIDIA/RCA combo, I mean the TV
> >> doesn't even show up as connected.  In Linux or Windows.  It is like it
> >> doesn't even exist.  But when I hook the ATI card up, it is detected
> >> right away in Windows and works.  I don't get it.  How can it be
> >> detected on one and not the other?  Please help this is breaking my brain.
> >>

> > sounds like, for some reason, the NVIDIA card isn't seeing or reacting
> > to the EDID data. Some Xorg logs and xorg.conf info would help.
> >

> Thats the thing.  In the Xorg logs it doesn't show up at all.  If is
> connected Xorg shows no monitors connected at all.  I can't find
> anything in the Xorg log that references it and no amount of telling it
> to ignore EDID will make a signal come out to the TV.  Is there a way to
> force Xorg to output to the DVI port a specific mode and to not try any
> Automagic?
>
> I'll try and get the logs for you, but since I am going to be hooking it
> back up, I thought I might have to tricks to try when I do.

I don't know why it's not finding the EDID, you can try a from scratch
xorg.conf, sometimes something small and stupid can affect things.

Otherwise, just give it a modeline. Use the 1920x1080i modeline from
the modeline database. You may have to play with some of the
ModeValidation type settings and you should definitely get the
frequency boundaries either from the manual or from what the ATI card
reads and use those!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!