[mythtv-users] Getting lirc working

Angus sylvania at istop.com
Sat Mar 17 05:15:57 UTC 2007

Jon wrote:
> Angus wrote:
>
>> Jon wrote:

>>> Digital cameras are sensitive to IR light.

>>> Have you read http://www.linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Remote_controllers
>>>

>>     Yes, I have.
>>

>>> Specifically,
>>> saa7134: Most cards need only the saa7134 driver, but a few need the
>>> ir-kbd-i2c helper. Boards known to require ir-kbd-i2c include the Upmost
>>> Purple TV and the latest "i-series" Pinnacle PCTV boards (110i, 50i)
>>>

>>     And I've been asking what that means over at v4l, but I haven't
>> gotten any response.
>>

> It means you may need to modprobe ir-kdc-i2c before it will work.  You

    Ah, yes. But that module loads automatically with saa7134.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/KWorld_Global_TV_Terminator#Remote
also says that I might need a patch for that, which is apparently got
something to do with v4l, but I can't been able to get anyone there to
help me with that yet.

> might see if you can use the linux input interface instead of lirc.
> Open xev and press a few buttons on the remote to see if they register.

    I did, and the results were not remarkable. Anything I pressed
returned this:
KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x1e00001,
    root 0x45, subw 0x0, time 959597, (-218,-78), root:(400,300),
    state 0x0, keycode 177 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x1e00001,
    root 0x45, subw 0x0, time 959645, (-218,-78), root:(400,300),
    state 0x0, keycode 177 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

Except for the "time" field, this is exactly what was returned with
every key I pressed. I get the feeling that means it isn't working here
either.