[mythtv-users] Help me get my tv working at 1080i!

Kevin Ould crippler75 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 19:34:18 UTC 2007

On 3/16/07, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

> Kevin Ould wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Yan. I do have the ExactModeTimingsDVI on. The nvidia driver is
> > using the modes I specify. It's just that's they aren't working for
> > 1920x1080, tried many different combos but no love as of yet. I have
> > working timings from the windows Nvidia drivier which works great in
> > windows. I did manage to get a pretty sweet 892x496 mode working today
> > with no overscan, which is a hell of a lot better than the 720x480 I
> > was running, fonts and everything look better. Seems to be as good as
> > I am going to get. Everything looks and works great at this
> > resolution, it just bugs me that I know it can go to 1080i if I get
> > the right settings. Maybe I will just live with it until I get myself
> > a projector or newer tv. :-)
> One other thing I've found (at least with my Sharp):  If you put the
> picture beyond the top left corner, it will not sync properly.  I get
> horrible images, lost colors, ghosting, etc.
>
> So I set up the modeline to intentionally shove the picture to the
> bottom right and to reduce the image, even if it means huge black bars.
> Once I have a sync, then I start moving the picture up and left and
> filling the screen.  (This takes far too long, as I am too often
> interrupted by the mandatory 87th viewing of Cars, 20,000 leagues under
> the sea, or some such emergency.  :-) )
>
> --Yan

LoL on the Cars etc. It does take a long time to get a mode just right. I
farted around with the 892 mode I spoke of for about an hour before I got it
perfectly displayed on the screen. I have a small issue in the bottom right
corner but it is only noticable if I walk right up to the TV. I need to
recalibrate the tv at this resolution as it looks like Geometry issue. I
noticed a similar thing with the left side of the screen. If I shifted the
picture too far to the left it would go very dark and be barely legible.
Pulling it back slightly would solve that. I found a link earlier that
listed a mode for my TV, it was 1776x1000 but unfortunately it didn't work
either for whatever reason. :-(  I even tried hooking up the Component
converter box that came with my VIdeo Card but apparently it has an issue
with the RED RCA jack, I had never even pulled it out of the bag before but
I guess it is faulty. I get a very Blue screen and unplugging and replugging
the RED has no effect so I am assuming it is pooched. Doh! With it plugged
in I am able to get 1024x768 but that's about it, it's not really ideal for
my 16:9 tv though and not much better than what I have now.

Kevin