[mythtv-users] NVP: prebuffering pause -- what does it mean, really?

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Fri Mar 16 19:09:58 UTC 2007

On 3/16/2007 1:44 PM, Willy Boyd wrote:
> I'm just looking to understand this one.  At first I was going to post
> this to the -dev list, but figured I'd start here.  I'm hoping to get
> a better understanding of what the NVP: prebuffering pause message
> really means.
>
> Through trial and error, and lots of searching, I've reduced my issue
> significantly.  What started as video freezing very frequently,
> accompanied by prebuffering pause and "WriteAudio: buffer underrun"
> messages, is now only happening sometimes once per couple hours.  VERY

Something that would cause these (happened more than once for me) was
the cpu (pentium 4 hyperthreading) overheating and linux would throttle
down. At that point I would get prebuffer pauses. Used to drive me nuts
until I would remember from the previous time. That and using NFS share
to play vids instead of myth protocol.

- James