[mythtv-users] HD3000 Disappeared?

Patrick Ouellette pat at flying-gecko.net
Fri Mar 16 14:26:01 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 08:45:41AM -0500, Rod Smith wrote:
> On Friday 16 March 2007 01:26, gchris wrote:
> > I've seen this recently with video4linux installed with the 2.6.19
> > kernel.  cx88-dvb is probably not running.  Open a terminal window and
> > type su (enter) and the root passsword (enter) Then type:
> > lsmod | grep cx88
> > If you don't see cx88-dvb listed, that's your problem.
> > If one of your /dev/videos disappeared, add the following to rc.local
> > modprobe -r cx8802
> > modprobe cx88-dvb
> > Then save and reboot. You should be good to go.
>
> A few comments:
>
> 1) I've seen this, too. I think it was when changing from a 2.6.19.2 to a
>    2.6.20 kernel, but it might have been earlier than that, as you suggest.
>
> 2) Not all distributions use /etc/rc.local. Ubuntu does, but Gentoo doesn't.
>    (Gentoo uses /etc/conf.d/local.start.) I don't recall about the latest
>    Fedora, offhand. All distributions provide a way to run programs at boot
>    time, though, so the basic principle applies -- you just might need to
>    find the local startup script under another name.
>
> 3) In some cases, the local startup script runs after the regular SysV startup
>    scripts. Chances are MythTV is run in the SysV startup scripts, at least
>    if you're using a distribution-provided MythTV binary. Both of these is
>    true of Ubuntu. In such a case, MythTV will start before the cx88-dvb
>    driver is loaded, will fail to find the device, and will therefore not work
>    correctly. IIRC, on my system the backend crashed as soon as it tried to
>    record anything. The solution was to restart mythbackend after loading the
>    cx88-dvb driver in /etc/rc.local. (Disabling the SysV startup script and
>    starting MythTV in /etc/rc.local would arguably be a better solution, but I
>    wanted to leave the SysV startup script in place in case I removed the card
>    or otherwise mucked with the configuration.)

How about adding the name of the module you want loaded to /etc/modules?
It should be loaded before Myth starts then.

Patrick Ouellette                 pat at flying-gecko.net
kb8pym at arrl.net                   Amateur Radio: KB8PYM
Living life to a Jimmy Buffett soundtrack
"Crank the amp to 11, this needs more cowbell - and a llama wouldn't hurt either"