[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA EX-series Mini-ITX Mainboard

F Peeters (MythTV) francesco at fampeeters.com
Fri Mar 16 09:20:45 UTC 2007

On Mon, March 12, 2007 22:17, Wim Fokkens wrote:
> Hello
>
> What is the reason I should use the openchrome driver instead of the VIA
> driver. If I read the driver description is looks like VIA driver supports
> the functions I need.
>
> Quote from the VIA site:
> For Debian 3.1r4, Fedora Core4/5/6, Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.10 Desktop:
> This installation guide (IG) describes how to build the combo display
> driver
> source and install the driver binary for
> CLE266/CN400/CN700/CN800/CX700(M/M2)/PM880/P4M800 CE-Pro/VN800/VX700(M/M2)
> north bridge chips with the UniChrome (Pro) integrated graphics
> processors.
> Instructions are included for customizing system display resolution and
> color depth using the "Display" Tool and using the "XVidtune Tool" to
> adjust
> the refresh rate. "2D", "MPEG2/4 Hardware Acceleration", "Hardware Video
> Overlay", and "TV Out" including HDTV, DuoView and SAMM Mode settings
> functions are included for user's reference. The HDTV output function is
> only supported in CN400/CN700/CN800/CX700(M/M2)/PM880/P4M800
> CE-Pro/VN800/VX700(M/M2) chips, the MPEG4 Hardware Acceleration function
> is
> only supported in CN400/CX700M(M2)/PM880/VX700M(M2) chips. System memory
> is
> recommended to be 64MB or above.

I have a VIA EPIA V8000 here. As it is one of the older boards, it doesn't
have the MPEG2 accelerator hardware, but as I am installing it as an
Asterisk server, it doesn't need X anyway...

If you want I can toss X on there with the ATI drivers to see how they
behave and let you know... As I do not need X, it is of little
consequence, since I can easily throw X off again when I am done...

I will wait however until you let me know, as I am not waiting on extra
work. (I am busy enough as is.) For a fellow Dutchman *and* fellow MythTV
user, I do not mind putting in some time and effort, but I do not want to
spend time and effort if nobody's ineterested because "it doesn't do
hardware MPEG acceleration anyway"!!!

--
F Peeters
  PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250