[mythtv-users] Where are those new 1TB drives?

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 11:49:56 UTC 2007

On 14 Mar 2007, at 22:38, ian at duckland.org wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, jedi at mishnet.org wrote:
>
>>     That really doesn't do anything to contradict the point I
>> was making about how in some environments the distinction between
>> different classes of technology are moot since you aren't really
>> able to stress any of it.
>
> And why not?  By profession, my title is Senior UNIX/Linux Systems
> Administrator.  I deal with "enterprise-class" hardware every day...

As an aside to your own experiences, the links Yeechang posted DO
contradict that point.

The quote "we observe little difference in replacement rates between
SCSI, FC and SATA drives" is from a paper which "looked at 100,000
drives, including HPC clusters at Los Alamos and the Pittsburgh
Supercomputer Center, as well as several unnamed internet services
providers". If these are not environments able to stress hard-drives,
then I'd be interested to hear of environments that do.

Stroller.