[mythtv-users] DirectTV HD DVR

Greg Oliver greg.oliver at cistera.com
Wed Mar 14 18:19:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 11:15 -0400, raphael wrote:
> Greg Oliver wrote:
> > I re-installed myth yesterday to rip some DVDs and re-setup my
> > music/video library.  I got tired of comcast not giving me firewire
> > after several threats, so I switched back to directv for the quality.
> >
> > I got 2 of the new HD DVRs (they suck for responsiveness), but they
> > record all the HD channels :)
> >
> > After I start mythbackend now, myth logs into the dvr somehow.  When I
> > stop mythbackend, I get a message on the TV HD DVR screen that "user
> > Myth Media Player has logged off".
> >
> > I did some packet dumps of the network and did not see anything but
> > broadcasts coming from the dvr to a multicast address - never did I see
> > anything about connection from my laptop (myth) to it,  but thought it
> > was nice if something is coming down the road to interface with it!
> >
> > Anyone else experienced this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Greg

> That soudns interesting. Maybe it's the whole upnp thing - is the
> directv dvr connected to the network at all?

Yeah, it is UPnP according to the packet dumps.  I could not find
anything on the net about the protocol it was using for communication.
I was hoping DirecTV would have the home networking setup by now, but
they just got around to the eSata ports..  I guess once they get it
going, it will not be too hard to decipher the streams..

Oh well, hopefully there will be a non-HDCP PC card available or
something and I can ditch the HD DVR completely.

Thanks,

Greg