[mythtv-users] Where are those new 1TB drives?

Indulis Bernsteins indulis.b at au1.ibm.com
Wed Mar 14 15:20:16 UTC 2007

jedi at mishnet.org wrote:
> This is why the people that run the companies that sell the sort of
> highend gear you're speaking of still recommend SCSI over SATA for
> it's better command queuing.
>

>Well, that, and the markup on SCSI drives is significantly higher. ;)

I work for a large computer company and someone in one of the storage
design teams went out and bought a SCSI drive, an IDE drive, and a SATA
drive, and dissected them.

The photos showed a big differentce in build quality.  Bigger bearings,
better seals, better casing. Guess which one was better?

There is a reason why SATA RAID array "best practices" is for 2x as many
spares per disk population, and why "dual parity" is used.

Indulis