[mythtv-users] Wiki reorganization (was re: MythArchive Guide - Burning TV Programs to DVD)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 00:20:20 UTC 2007

On 3/13/07, Rod Smith <mythtv at rodsbooks.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 March 2007 17:05, Steven Ellis wrote:
> >
> > One item to note is none of my customer use the MythTV Wiki as they find
> > it far too hard to navigate. We have links from our support pages to
> > selected wiki pages, but most of the time our customers come straight back
> > and question why we don't have equivalent content within our own support
> > site.
> Sorry to hijack this thread, but this comment does bring up an important
> point: The wiki really is confusingly organized. There's lots of overlap
> between different high-level categories and between individual entries,
> making it hard to find things sometimes. This is understandable given the
> organic way in which a wiki grows, but IMHO, it may be time to "trim the
> tree," as it were, and do some high-level editorial maintenance on the wiki.
> Some of this would be a matter of adding, deleting, and removing links, but
> some of this would require merging multiple existing entries into single
> entries, splitting other big entries into multiple entries, and even cleaning
> up the structure of existing entries. Making such changes would be a pretty
> massive undertaking and could easily step on peoples' toes, but I thought I'd
> bring it up to see if there's any interest in putting together a group to do
> this.

I agree, both that some sort of organizing needs to take place and
that it would be a relatively big undertaking.
What do you propose?  perhaps working it out before going through with
it will help minimize the pain and confusion.

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -