[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA EX-series Mini-ITX Mainboard

Wim Fokkens wimfokkens at planet.nl
Tue Mar 13 21:34:00 UTC 2007

I read here

http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=The+Different+Unichr
ome+family+display+drivers

The proprietary drivers from VIA contain support for most chipsets, mpeg2
and mpeg4 acceleration, but are of low quality and often unstable. In
addition, the 3D driver leaves your system open for attack by malicious
clients, and furthermore, applications that accelerate mpeg2 and mpeg4 must
be run as root, which is a very bad idea if they contain vulnerabilities
(and they do). Avoid using these drivers unless you know what you are really
doing! The drivers can be found  <http://www.viaarena.com> here. Also, these
drivers are distribution specific and a driver for different distribution
other than yours might not work.

This of course sounds very bad. But this page is not very up to date.

last modification: Wednesday 03 of May, 2006

The last driver from via are very new

Version - 0.81  14 February 2007

So are all these issue's still true, are the drivers still not stable and do
I still have to run as root to make use off the hardware acceleration.

Wim

  _____