[mythtv-users] DVD Rip and Recent DVDs

D daspiras at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 23:55:33 UTC 2007

On 3/12/07, Craig Partin <cpartin at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is Sony ARccOS Protection
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARccOS
>
> The dvd decoder libs don't seem to handle this, unless there is a
> recent update I am missing.  Some Mac and Windows rippers and players
> handle it without issue.

IANyetAL but IAALawStudent.  This is not legal advice.

Under any reasonable fair use analysis under title 29 and the
controlling cases such as Campbell, there is little doubt that backing
up your own DVDs would constitute fair use.  Arguments can be made but
are irrelevant, however, as others have mentioned, the Copyright
Cartels lobbied Congress to enact the DMCA which overrides and
restricts a persons ability to exercise fair use on their own DVD.
Until this is repealed, circumventing the copyright controls is
against the law.

The best course of action, and one which I have been doing for years
now, is to stop purchasing products from companies who utilize and
endorse DRM or other 'evil' practices.  Companies know only one thing:
Profit.  That's it. Stop buying it.  Will it work? Probably not, there
is little chance your average joe is going to become aware enough or
care enough to make a stink about this.  Sure, the companies may end
up blaming the lost profits on piracy and not consumer hatred, but we
are going to get screwed either way. I sure sleep better at night by
not giving them my money.  And if you can't quit cold turkey...rent,
buy used - which, although it does contribute to the market value of a
product is certainly better than buying new.

But really, it's not that hard.  People act surprised that I refuse to
step foot in a Walmart.