[mythtv-users] Video suspend issues with EPIA M10000/Unichrome

migmog migmog at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 15:00:32 UTC 2007

On 12/03/07, Jason Knisley <knisleyjw at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've tried playback with mplayer regularly and
> full-screen, and that seems to work fine, but after a
> suspend, I get a lot of stuttering and jerking in the
> video. I had thought it might be the NIC, but the
> actual nuppelvideo files are playing quite well just
> using mplayer.

I had the same problem, and found that it had to do with Wake on LAN
being enabled when I suspended. I had the following line in my suspend
script

/usr/sbin/ethtool -s eth0 wol g

... and my video was pretty juddery.  When I commented out that line
the problems went away. I did not spend any more time getting to the
bottom of the problem, as I could never get Wake On LAN working from
the Suspended state anyway.  Maybe you need to explicitly disable WOL
with 'ethtool -s eth0 wol d'

I also had to do various things in my suspend script:
- I have a separate backend. I had to kill mythfrontend on the Epia,
otherwise the backend would never go to sleep
- I had to rmmod the kernel modules for my serial IR receiver before
suspend, or it would not work when it came back up.
- ... and modprobe them again after waking up
- ... and do /etc/init.d/lirc start
- ... and also do "DISPLAY=:0 irxevent $LIRCRC &"... the gotcha being
that DISPLAY was not set in the context of the sleep script.

That's about it. My Epia box sleeps in about 8 secs, and wakes up in
about the same amount of time. I measured the power it uses in this
state - about 3W... pretty much the same as when switched OFF but
still with the power lead connected. IMHO this is a  shocking waste of
power, but still much better than leaving it on!!

Hope this helps
Andrew