[mythtv-users] Gig Network

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 05:47:31 UTC 2007

On 3/10/07, ryan patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/10/07, Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3/9/07, Henrik Beckman <henrik.list at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Multiple streams probably is harder on the drives than on the network,
> does
> > > anyone have som experience on how many streams SDTV and/or HDTV is
> >doable to a single spindel, without to much fragmentation (how large
> "blocks" are
> > > written by myth?)
> >
> > There seem to be people who have "miracle drives" who claim record 4
> > streams of HD, commercial flag, transcode, and watch 2 HD streams at
> > the same time, all off one single spindle, one single drive, one
> > single computer, integrated FBE/SBE.

> My setup isn't quite as demanding as yours (4 HD tuners, 1 SD tuner, 1
> networked frontend) but I have not seen any bottleneck issues with drive
> performance.  Even when recording several HD shows and watching another.
> Have you tried increasing the PCI latency setting in your motherboard setup
> menu?

Yes. Among many other things. Serious server hardware finally took
care of the problem. I love my 3ware card and tyan serverworks
motherboard.... I can record from all (4) tuners, while realtime
commercial flagging (3) streams, and watching (2) HD frontends and the
primary backend is sitting at less than 10% on each CPU... a little
overkill perhaps, but the consumer-level gear just wasn't cutting it.