[mythtv-users] Games

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 04:37:41 UTC 2007

On 3/10/07, Bruce Nordstrand <brucen at ksl.com.au> wrote:
> Rightio
> Just so I can't be accused of not reading the wiki, I had a look. But
> now I am none the wiser...
> [quote]
>       PC-Game Setup
> To Setup PC Games Create a Directory with Scripts which run your
> different PC Games. (for example: /usr/games/scripts). You also can link
> the game executable to this directory if you don't want to create a script.
> Then you have to create a game-player which runs your scripts.
> Player Name: PC-GAMES
> Type: Other
> Command: %s
> [/quote]
> Huh? So what exactly am I supposed to be doing with scripts? What is the script egeneretd with? What does it contain? While I am not a Linux "newbie", I am not into scripting etc, I just use it on a daily basis. So any help with this would be *really* appreciated, or at least another site that explains the process..

I believe the idea is that if a program requires a particular
command-line passed into it (To set up screen resolution/input
devices/audio parameters etc, you put those in a short (tiny, even)
shell script that goes in the PC Games directory.

So, for example:

/bin/glquake.glx -fullscreen -width 800 -height 600 +r_wateralpha 0.5 +r_novis 1

Would be a small script to run OpenGL Quake (With a few enhancements).

If this isn't required, however (For example, the game stores all
pertinent settings in a config file), then you can just make a
symbolic link to the executable in the games directory.

At least, that's how I understand it.
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston