[mythtv-users] DVD Rip and Recent DVDs

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Mar 10 21:54:25 UTC 2007

On Mar 10, 2007, at 2:49 PM, Jean-Marc Melchior wrote:

> I don't know a solution,
> but if you own the DVD's, you could just download them, since you own
> them it wouldnt be illegal, and from my experience downloading doesnt
> take much longer then ripping them

That would make sense, but we are talking about the "land of the free".

Technically it is a violation of the DMCA to even view the DVD that
you bought and paid for on a Myth system, unless you have gone to
extraordinary lengths to license your Linux-based player.

Incredibly stupid, yes, but it is the law of the land. So we really
shouldn't even be discussing this except as a theoretical matter and
for the benefit of our brethren who live in civilized countries.