[mythtv-users] Interesting Cringely article on possible Apple PVRs

Jason Sullivan jason0x21 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 00:51:14 UTC 2007

> MPEG-2  encoder and decoder chips are cheap partly because they are
> manufactured in huge quantities, something that can be done because
> MPEG-2 is an accepted "standard", there is no risk in winding up with
> large quantities of orphaned chips using an abandoned proto-standard.

Which is why it amazes me that nobody seems to make a TV In/Out card
with a general purpose DSP, GPU, or even an FPGA on it.  Sure, it's a
little more expensive, but it's future-proof (well, future-resistant),
and those processors (or random gates) can run (or be configured to
run) codecs much faster than a regular CPU.

I'm already an nVidia customer for life, but what would make them
unimpeachable is for me to be able load an arbitrary video codec to
run on their GPU.

--
Jason Sullivan
jason0x21 at gmail.com