[mythtv-users] Almost-square pixels (was Re: Fonts unreadable in GDM/Xorg with Ubuntu)

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 00:21:55 UTC 2007

On 3/9/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> So, does anyone know the story behind the choice to use 1360x768 for
> some devices (seems to be especially LCD's and Plasmas)?  It's not
> important, but I finally had a reason to mention the issue in case
> someone out there has some info and a willingness to teach me...

I think it pretty much boils down to 1366 (my display's native width)
not being divisible by 8, and NVIDIA (my card's maker) not supporting
it based on that for technical reasons.  And that makes 1360 the
closest without going over.  (NOTE: I have not read the wikipedia
article separately linked).

I read a thread on avsforum once where someone was pulling their hair
out over trying to get *exactly* 1366x768.  I'm not sure if it's
possible with other video cards or not.  But I figured, I'm only
losing 3 pixels on each side.  Not something I'm going to lose sleep
over :)

But you bring up a very good point about the aspect ratio and pixel
squareness.  Interesting take I hadn't thought of yet.