[mythtv-users] Software RAID

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 17:41:42 UTC 2007

On 3/9/07, MacNean Tyrrell <dardack at gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> I did mean to ask, do all my drives have to be the same size?  for Raid 5
> (seems to be concensus best one for space saving with Raid that i can find
> on net).  Or if not do i need even numbers, ie 2x250gig, 2x300gig, etc. or
> can i have 1x320, 2x200, 1x250, etc?

If you use linux software raid and make the raid on partitions you can
mix and match sizes using the smallest disk as the size of the
partition to make raided on the bigger drives. Then with the larger
drives you can use this space how ever you want (even raid that). I do
admit with this setup you will not have optimal performance as its
best that all drives be the same exact model.

John