[mythtv-users] Software RAID (was: Where are those new 1TB drives?)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Mar 8 19:29:02 UTC 2007

On Mar 8, 2007, at 12:12 PM, MacNean Tyrrell wrote:

> I'll go to the site when i get home later.  So i can theoretically
> run this on a thumb drive? with the RAID array serving as just a
> storage over the network in my house? and mythtv can store to
> this?  And theoretically anything else? (ie can windows write/read
> to it also?)  And with HD recordings, how fast would it need, GiG?

I don't know why you couldn't run it on a flash drive, I'm running
OpenSlug and a full-blown Debian off them.

The conventional wisdom is that a flash drive will wear out quickly
as it has a finite number of write cycles available. I take care to
not swap to them and mount the filesystems with "noatime" and I have
yet to have a flash drive fail, but it's only been 6 months or so
since I moved from the small hard drives, so it's not really a fair
test (yet).

"Noatime" might cause trouble with some applications as well, depends
on what you're doing.

So we've moved from a discussion of 1 TB hard drives to small flash
drives :-)