[mythtv-users] Moving from Fedora to Ubuntu

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Mar 8 17:41:30 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 12:25:57AM -0500, Daniel Agar wrote:
> > My old boxes are FC4 and I don't think I want to bother upgrading them
> > to FC6. I'd rather try installing something lighter.

> It doesn't take that much time to strip a fedora install down. Just
> manually select packages during install and take away pretty much
> everything except X and the base packages. After that just grab everything
> you need with yum install mythtv-suite fluxbox, and run
> system-config-services to turn off all the extra services. I personally
> have a fedora backend and frontend and use fluxbox as my window manager. I
> can hardly imagine going back to compiling ivtv, lirc and myth packages.
>
> With fedora and atrpms I could start from stratch and have a completely
> working myth box in about an hour. In your case the irblaster might take
> some extra time.

Just for some numbers: If you do a full mythtv install on FC6 you end
up with

# apt-get install mythtv-suite
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
[...]
0 upgraded, 280 newly installed, 1 removed and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/218MB of archives.
After unpacking 512MB of additional disk space will be used.

This is on a minimal 250MB system, so it's about 3/4 GB of disc
space. Even fits on a CD w/o compression.

I really like the mythdora approach, and the new tools for creating
livecds and new spins are really nice, and with RHEL5 around the
corner, I'd love to see a RHEL5 based mythdora which will have a
comparatively infinite life-cycle :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net