[mythtv-users] Moving from Fedora to Ubuntu

D daspiras at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 05:34:23 UTC 2007

On 3/8/07, Daniel Agar <daniel at agar.ca> wrote:
> > I am considering moving from Fedora to Ubuntu.
> > I'm comfortable with Fedora, but I am looking at more long term
> > stability with Ubuntu using the server install that has an 18 month
> > support cycle.
> >
> > I have a couple of glitched on my frontend and backend, so I am
> > considering starting from scratch. It's just TV that I have recorded,
> > and I can likely record most of it again, but I want to reorder my
> > drives a bit in the backend and move it to my server room.
> >
> > I'm also switching from analog cable to Bell Expressvu satellite so I
> > also have to switch to an irblaster to change channels.
> >
> > I'd like to keep the backend nice and light, and plan on makeing
> > another frontend to replace the tv it is currently attached to. My
> > other frontend has a few issues and I'm thinking a reinstall may fix
> > that up.
> >
> > I have the ubuntu server install cd that is supposed to be nice and
> > light, and I'd like to run a light window manager like fluxbox. Does
> > anyone have a system running similar to this?
> >
> > Am I making too many changes to my setup that I won't get it working
> > again?
> >
> > My old boxes are FC4 and I don't think I want to bother upgrading them
> > to FC6. I'd rather try installing something lighter.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > --
> > -=/>Thom
> >

> It doesn't take that much time to strip a fedora install down. Just
> manually select packages during install and take away pretty much
> everything except X and the base packages. After that just grab everything
> you need with yum install mythtv-suite fluxbox, and run
> system-config-services to turn off all the extra services. I personally
> have a fedora backend and frontend and use fluxbox as my window manager. I
> can hardly imagine going back to compiling ivtv, lirc and myth packages.
>
> With fedora and atrpms I could start from stratch and have a completely
> working myth box in about an hour. In your case the irblaster might take
> some extra time.

I got a working mythbox in an hour with Kubuntu Edgy.  I don't know
what all the talk about compiling ivtv and lirc is about.  It's not
just an apt-get install mythtv, but it isn''t downloading the source
and compiling yourself either.   I guess it may vary depending on your
hardware too. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Edgy_Backend_Frontend
is the guide I used.

Now, I know that when I used a prerelease version of Edgy back in Sept
to do the install I did have to do a lot of stuff by hand.  But at the
time, KnoppMyth refused to work for me and I couldnt get the Fedora
guide to come through for me.

So, like with any distro argument....use what you are comfortable with
or give it a whirl and see if it works for you.