[mythtv-users] Fibre/Ethernet based IP based DVB - has anyone ever done this?

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 16:41:39 UTC 2007

> The Verizon Fios system is not IPTV.  They convert the fiber optic signal
> to analog basic cable & QAM digital cable at your house and feed it to your
> TV over coax cable like traditional cable service.  This is good and bad.
> It means you can use all the same hardware that is designed for traditional
> cable with Fios ( i.e. your TV's internal tuner will stiff work).  But
> their system wont allow direct recording off the network.

Thanks so much for the reply.  I used to have the standard cable package,
than i got my 50" Plasma TV, and they want a fee per month for the HD box,
then they want another fee for the HD channels for Discovery, ESP, TnT,
etc.  I was so fed up i just went to basic basic cable (3-24) but my TV
still gets HD for Fox, ABC, NBC, etc (OTA), reason i kept the basic basic
was i'm in a valley and get terrible OTA reception.  Does FIOS encrypt their
HD, if you pay for the HD, can u view it or do you need another box, (ie
will my TV's internal tuner pull in Discover and those or only OTA ones)?
If they don't can HDHR pull in those channels from it (been debating getting
one of those)?

> Ryan Patterson

Sincerely,