[mythtv-users] New frontend will not play video

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Mar 7 14:25:06 UTC 2007

Shanon Mulley wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Are you talking about the password for the mythtv user (as in, linux
> login username), or the password for the mythtv mysql username? I was
> of the thinking that the mysql username/password was just for the
> local mysql database, not for the remote one.
>
> I'll try getting them all in sync anyway.
>
> Shanon.
>
> On 3/7/07, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
>> Shanon Mulley wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a backend/frontend which has been working fine for over a year
>>> (currently running latest mythtv on FC5).
>>>
>>> I have just tried installed ubuntu on an old machine here (PIII), and
>>> installed mythtv (Using the standard repositories), with the intention
>>> of using the PIII (ubuntu) machine has a remote frontend.
>>>
>>> The problem is, it wont work. I can get it to connect, to the extent
>>> that I can browse recorded shows (although it wont show me a
>>> screenshot of it), but when I try to watch a recorded show, the screen
>>> goes to black for a second, then I am brought back to the recorded
>>> show browser.
>>>
>>> A similar thing happens when I try to watch live TV.
>>>
>>> If I try to schedule recordings (by having a look at the program
>>> guide) nothing pops up - it crashes mythfrontend.
>>>
>>> When I go into the system status from the new frontend, it cannot give
>>> me the status of the tuners (from the backend). It is supposed to?
>>>
>>> It does, however, give me accurate statistics ofthe MythTV server
>>> (Uptime, Load, RAM, Swap, Disc usage on the server).
>>>
>>> The only thing I have set up on the frontend is the IP address of the
>>> backend, and I assume this much is correct (as it can see some
>>> details).
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I kind of done things in the
>>> wrong order while installing mythtv on the ubuntu frontend. I
>>> installed mythtv before installing mysql. It gave me an error, but
>>> still installed. I ended up trying to remove mythtv and re-installing
>>> (using sudo apt-get remove mythtv), but am not sure if it really did.
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest whats going on?
>>>
>> Ubuntu picks random passwords for the mythtv user for installs of
>> mythtv. Check to make sure you have the same password on the BE and the
>> FE. Also check the frontend log (by running mythfrontend from the
>> command line), that the protocol versions used by BE/FE are the same.
>>
>> Mike Perkins

Ah, you only have one mysql database, it talks to the master backend
mostly. But you need to set the same password in the mysql.txt files on
both BE and FE (All of them that you can find!) to correspond to what
you set it to in mysql when you created the database.

The mythtv user logins on each machine can have different passwords,
although you are just making life difficult for yourself if you do.

I never use the mythtv logins on my systems, I treat them as system
accounts. Doesn't seem to cause any difficulties getting things to work.
I just use my normal user, and make that and mythtv members of the
'video' group.

Mike Perkins