[mythtv-users] nVidia OverScan with VGA cable

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Tue Mar 6 02:03:03 UTC 2007

On 3/6/07, Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> On 4 Mar 2007, at 22:41, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > So, you only get 2 of 3 with a TV:
> >     - 1:1 pixel mapping
> >     - full screen
> >     - full resolution
> I respectfully dispute your contention.
>
> I returned this week a GTVL42W15HD and can confirm that it did 1:1
> pixel-mapping, at full screen & at full resolution over DVI.

I disagree with you (note: this does NOT apply if you're using an
analog source, only a digital source)

If you watch a digital source (DVB-T in my example, or a dvd which was
of a TV show) with a 1:1 mapped 16x9 lcd tv it will NOT fill the
screen left to right.  You will also see 3-5 pixels on the top and
bottom which may not be fully mastered (may blink with timecodes, show
unfinished CG, etc).

I notice this the most on sports like the cricket, where they will
often have scrolling text ads which don't show up quite right on the
bottom.

The way to have it fill the screen is to set up myth's overscan (or
this will happen automatically if you have a TV that isn't true 1:1
and is assuming overscan), which will crop those "bonus pixels" on the
top and bottom to make it fill the screen left to right.