[mythtv-users] Upgrade old or cut my losses and buy new?

David Murphy dm1000 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 00:20:51 UTC 2007

Yan Seiner wrote:
  > So where do you put this magic incantation?

As was mentioned, this assumes you are using the Nvidia driver.  My
apologies for not being entirely complete in my prior response.  I am
using Mythdora 3.2.  For my Sempron 3400 on Asus M2NPV-VM w/ onboard
Nvidia 6150 graphics the Device section of my xorg.conf looks like this:

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "nvidia"
         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
         BoardName   "nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge"
         Option "UseEvents" "True"
EndSection

In the Nvidia-settings utility I have the following:
X Server XVideo Settings:
Video Texture Adaptor - Sync to VBlank = checked
Video Blitter Adaptor - Sync to VBlank = unchecked

OpenGL Settings
Performance:
Sync to VBlank = checked
Allow Flipping = checked

Within Mythfrontend settings, TV SETTINGS > PLAYBACK, I have found that
the following options seem to give the best performance (both in terms
of visual quality and lowest cpu usage) for me at this time:
Deinterlace: Bob
Preferred MPEG2 Decoder: libmpeg2
Enable OpenGL vertical sync for timing: checked
Extra audio buffering: checked

These settings produce substantially lower total cpu load for me than
when XvMC is enabled.  The standard(ffmpeg) decoder choice is pretty
smooth as well but it seems like it might use ~10% more cpu.

All of this info is available in other posts but it is pretty scattered
around.  As I mentioned before I do see the subtle but regular jerking,
mostly on panning scenes so I am not inclined to say that playback is
"perfect" but with the above configuration I don't believe that lack of
cpu cycles is the limiting factor.

Hope this is helpful.