[mythtv-users] MythTV and HDTV future

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Mar 5 03:52:25 UTC 2007

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 06:48:29PM -0500, jason maxwell wrote:
> On 3/4/07, Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:

> > > no need to wait. there are already full res HD DVD rips on bittorrent.
> > > http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/13/181222
> > >

> > I meant legal ones.   Which are coming.  bittorent.com only has
>
> I guess i took your use of the word "cracked" to mean illegal.

I meant playing DVDs.  While it is, technically illegal to play
the DVDs you own on other than a MPAA/DVDCCA licenced DVD player
through the use of DECSS, that's not a law anybody in this forum
is likely to support.   I'm talking about people who bought a
DVD and just want to play it on the (linux) box connected to their
TV rather than having to buy a special player.  Not people ripping
the DVD to make infringing copies.   I'm happy if I can play my
HDTV DVDs on my home network, and I expect I will be able to -- and
thus not have to worry about buying double-encrypted HBO.

I say double encrypted because not only is the HBO encrypted so that
you have to pay for it to watch it (which I have no problem with), but
it's re-encrypted so that you can only watch it on blessed proprietary
devices, even if you did pay, which of course everybody in the Myth community
is not going to be very pleased with.