[mythtv-users] pcHDTV 5500 - NTSC and QAM?

Steven Sartorius ssartor at bellatlantic.net
Mon Mar 5 02:44:04 UTC 2007

On Mar 4, 2007, at 19:51, ryan patterson wrote:

> On 3/4/07, Steven Sartorius <ssartor at bellatlantic.net> wrote: Hi,
>
> I'm looking at upgrading my current Myth setup (SD only, version .18)
> to something capable of handling HD.  I'm a Comcast analog cable
> subscriber and recently picked up an external HD tuner (a Samsung DTB-
> H260F) to see what I could get via QAM off my coax.  There's enough
> unencrypted HD content (all the local OTA channels, DiscoveryHD,
> Universal HD) that I'd like to have the option to record in either HD
> or SD.  A little research turned up the pcHDTV 5500 -- a QAM capable
> card with both ATSC and NTSC tuners.  My question is (of course!) how
> well does it work in Myth?  Specifically, is anyone using the card to
> record both HD and SD (not at the same time of course)?  If so, how
> does this work?  Do you specify two different inputs to Myth? Does
> the card show up as having two different tuners? What's the quality
> of SD capture?  Any insight into the nuts and bolts of how the 5500
> handles both QAM and SD would be much appreciated...
>
> thanks,
>
> Steve
>
> I have no info about the pcHDTV5500.  But I have a question for
> you.  Why not continue using the current SD tuner that you already
> have?  Just add a new HD tuner.

My current box is a little underpowered for HD -- it's an old Shuttle
(forget the model but it's about 4 years old) with a 1.7GHz Celeron
and 256MB of RAM. It's fine for SD using an AverMedia M179 and a no-
name MX440 using XVMC but I'd rather build something with a little
more punch for HD (looking at a Pundit P1-AH2 with an Athlon 64 X2
4000+ -- system will be both a FE and BE).  To avoid having to split
my cable signal and fill 2 PCI slots I'd like to just have one
capture card but if the pcHDTV 5500 can't do the job I'll  just yank
the M179 out of my current rig and  go with two cards..

Steve