[mythtv-users] controlling order of tuner card detection?

John jharitos at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 4 21:07:56 UTC 2007

Sometimes, my tuner cards are detected and thus
assigned to /dev/videoX
numbers in different orders - this wouldn't be an
issue except that they
have very different connections and features. Right
now, I've got a
pvr-150 with both cable and video-in and a hd5500 with
qam and backup
cable in - if they get detected in the wrong order,
/dev/video doesn't
have an mpeg encoder, doesn't have an attached cable
box to video0, and
gets darn nasty reception. I've been planning to
replace the 150 with a
500, but I'm nervous that it'll make things even

Is there any way to force detection to proceed in
bus-order, presumably
not changing unless I swap cards?

You can blacklist the modules in your modprobe.conf.
This way they'll be loaded when you modprobe in
rc.local in the same order everytime. You could also
write a udev rule. I did the blacklist which took just
a minute to do.

Need Mail bonding?