[mythtv-users] How to Upgrade from FC4 MythTV 0.17?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 17:55:08 UTC 2007

On 04/03/07, Garry Cook <garrycook at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I was hoping to get some input from folks that may be familiar with the
> process and/or have done recent upgrades. What's the best way to go about it
> without losing any of my recording, movies, or music? I'd also like to keep
> as many of my custom settings as possible.

My suggestion depends on whether you you want to update your OS in
addition to MythTV, and whether you had the foresight to store your
media (recordings/movies/music/pictures etc) on separate partitions to
the system installation.

If you have stored your media separately, you can start over with a
clean installation of FC6 (or any other distro you want to use) with
little to no risk to your stored media, and use the current atrpms.net
MythTV binaries.

You can also stay with FC4 (I am doing this on two heavily used
systems, but this OS is now unsupported) and run the latest MythTV
code from SVN (self-compilation requiredm as atrpms.net no longer
supports FC4).

If you stored your media on your system partition and have nowhere
else to store this, things could get a little more messy if you want
to upgrade your OS. In-place upgrades from FC4-FC6 (with perhaps an
interim FC4-FC5 upgrade) may be your best bet, but these can be messy
and you may need to fix niggles that become apparent after the
upgrade. Again, if you carry out an in-place upgrade to FC5 or FC6,
you can use the atrpms.net binaries to get the latest 0.20 version of
MythTV.

> I started reading Jarod's guide again, but it still seems to be geared
> mainly towards building from scratch. I'll go this route if I have to, but

I just looked at the HOWTO, and it's still based on installing
_MythTV_ from atrpms.net binaries. As long as your are running a
version of Fedora that atrpms.net supports, the HOWTO is good.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/