[mythtv-users] How to Upgrade from FC4 MythTV 0.17?

Garry Cook garrycook at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 16:48:14 UTC 2007

I've been running MythTV for about two years now. I used Jarod's guide way
back when to setup FC4 and MythTV 0.17. It's worked really well for me, but
now I'm interested in an upgrade.

There are a few new features that I'm interested in, and I've also purchased
an LCD HDTV. I don't yet have an HD Capture card, but the output from my
GeForce FX5200 over DVI with HDMI adapter looks like crap (red pixelation in
the dark screen areas). I think this probably has to do with the modelines
in xorg.conf, and I've read that the new Nvidia drivers no longer require
this (please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this).

So, I was hoping to get some input from folks that may be familiar with the
process and/or have done recent upgrades. What's the best way to go about it
without losing any of my recording, movies, or music? I'd also like to keep
as many of my custom settings as possible.

I started reading Jarod's guide again, but it still seems to be geared
mainly towards building from scratch. I'll go this route if I have to, but
again, don't want to lose any of my existing recordings, and I don't really
have a place to store them, as my Mythbox has more storage than any of my
other computers.

--
Garry