[mythtv-users] MythTV and HDTV future

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sun Mar 4 06:38:17 UTC 2007

Well, there are reasons for things looking up and down.

o) It seems more and more likely that an analog capture card
for HDTV will appear in a year or two.  It's possible to build
now at an affordable price, but it needs somebody to see the
market.   As long as you can get your box with analog outputs,
this will mean the ability to record -- with transcoding, alas, so
it will never be quite as nice as a locked PVR in this dept.

o) On the other hand, they do want to get rid of analog outputs
a few years down the road, and the arrival of these cards will
push them to do it -- perhaps

o) On the gripping hand, the war against DRM is doing better.
More and more poeple are starting to talk about taking it away
from music downloads.   Video will face pressure next.

o) On the 4th hand, you will be able to get a lot of this content
for download from the net, soon in HD.  And on HD DVDs -- which
it seems will be cracked like low res DVDs before too long.  So
wait a bit.

o) On the 5th hand, I have just decided I watch enough TV and
simply don't buy premium channels that they won't let me record
on my Mythbox.   The more people say that, the more they will
realize that DRM loses real customers.

In fact, once content becomes more available legally online, I
may just drop cable altogether and rely on OTA, DVD rental and
online download.

o) Or you can get a hacked satellite box.  That's what most people
do who are addicted to premium HD channels.   It's a lot of money,
though.