[mythtv-users] MythTV and HDTV future

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 4 01:15:46 UTC 2007

On Mar 3, 2007, at 6:06 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:

> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> So, I wouldn't be surprised if the regs are not amended until
>> standard
>> definition broadcasts cease to exist.
>>

> Which is some time in 2009, if I remember right.
>
> Just read recently that a requirement for all TVs sold in the U.S. to
> have digital tuners is going to take effect soon.  I imagine the price
> of small TV sets will increase significantly.

They really shouldn't, as those devices are really nothing once you
are tuning the VHF/UHF bands anyway. The main cost of a standalone
card is the board itself and the power regulators, capacitors etc,
all of which is already there on a TV receiver main board. Really all
they have to do is add a chip, the real cost is probably the design
and documentation, as well as the FCC certification.

The addition of closed caption decoders and V chips didn't really
seem to increase the cost, and both of those are more complex than a
digital tuner as they need hooks into the menu system etc.

But the manufacturers will almost certainly take advantage of the
opportunity to gouge the public deeper and blame it on the government.

It's like when they used to remove the expensive RF and IF components
and replace them with a 75 cent BNC jack (or even a 3 cent RCA jack).
Somehow this seemed to increase the cost by hundreds of dollars.