[mythtv-users] Ideal MythTV setup?

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 20:57:28 UTC 2007

I would for sure get a processor capable of HD, you never know in a few
years what you many want.  Here are my recommendations

Processor: for HD anything thing 3.0GHz or higher.  (some live by dual core
but a sigle core will do the job.  I use a 3.4Ghz P4), SD - anything above a
1GHZ will do.
MB: and ATX or mATX.  How small of case do you want?
Capture card:  SD - any Hardware encoded card.  PVR 150, 350, or 500 or
Avermedia (i use PVR150, works great)
                      HD - I swear by the HDHomeRun.   Give you 2 HD tuners
for $180 shipped.  Plus it doesn't require any drivers or PCI slots (network
based)
HD - bigger the better.  Might as well use SATA (SD = 1.2GB/Hr, HD - 7.5GB
/hr)
Video card - Nvidia!  5200 is popular.  I have a 6600 that i use for
Component out to my TV for HD signals. For SD most use S-video or Composite
Sound Card - can use on board.  if doing HD you pry want digital out for
Dolby Surround 5.1.  (if so, Some Asus MB come with this built on and works
with Myth or get a PCI Sound Card)

If you use a PVR card and connect the COAX you will get any station that you
get with out you STB on a standard TV.  To get the digital channels you
would connect it via S-video and have to configure a IR blaster or some
boxes have a usb or serial cable to change channels. (check out the Wiki).
With HD you can get any Over-the-Air channel or using Cable any non
encrypted QAM station. Typically just your local stations.

Hope this is what you are looking for...

Mitchell