[mythtv-users] Cooler

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 20:52:51 UTC 2007

Mitch Gore wrote:
> nMediaPC just replied back and the Zalman 120mm wont fit.  But either of
> their coolers will.  They make the icetank (read some bad reviews about
> it, Not that good at low fan speeds) and their Ice cone (some decent
> reviews).  The ice cone looks like the Zalman but uses a 100mm fan.  Any
> one have experience with this fan?  I am open for suggestions on a
> different case but i want a mATX case to keep it small.  Many of the
> HTPC cases i have looked at are ATX size.  I would also like to keep the
> cost of the case around $100.

Hi Mitch,

If nMedia says the Zalman fits, I'd go with it. My Silverstone LC11
backend/frontend is cooled solely by the Seasonic SS-300 power supply
and a Zalman CNPS7700 on top an AMD +3500. The Zalman is turned all the
way down and my temps are never above 34C even when playing back HD.
Very silent system. A larger fan will nearly always produce less noise
than a smaller one.

I stuck the Zalmans and Seasonics in my other frontend and winblows
gaming rig and have similar results.

Just be certain to clean the dust out of the flower fins every 4-6
months but then that's good practice for any active cooling device.

For you gamers out there, the Zalman VGA cooler on my GeForce 6800gt is
the quietest VGA cooler I've tried yet. Slightly louder than the hard
drive but I can't turn it all the way down without the card going wonky.

hth

--
mw