[mythtv-users] MythTV and HDTV future

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Thu Mar 1 17:46:03 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 12:40 -0500, Chris Weiland wrote:
> Something that hasn't really been emphasized yet is that you should be
> able to use the firewire port on your cable box to capture HDTV
> streams.  Some cable providers will encrypt this stream, but as far as
> I can tell, most don't.

Those that don't, soon will. When I first started setting up my MythTV
system, most channels were available via firewire, but now only the
broadcast network stations are not 5C encrypted. I also had a great deal
of difficulty with firewire, I never could get it to work reliably (I
got empty recordings). My HDHomerun works well, but it too can only get
the local network stations, everything else is encrypted.

I think that all cable companies will soon be encrypting everything
except what you could get over-the-air. If you are getting more than
this unencrypted, you are lucky but your days are numbered.

--Greg