[mythtv-users] Mailinglist usage ?

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Thu Mar 1 09:41:54 UTC 2007

On 28 Feb 2007, at 06:03, Erland Isaksson wrote:
> My problem is that the only way I have found to answer a question
> someone else has posted is to subscribe on the mailing list the whole
> time. This means that I will recieve houndreds/thousands of mails from
> the mailing list every month and the only thing I want to be able
> to do
> is answering a question once in a while. ...
> I also need to either manually every day go through all messages in
> the
> inbox and delete all that I know I never is going to know the
> answer to,
> or I can do as I do know just keep every message just in case I
> sometime
> in the future and wants to respond to it. Obviously this will be a lot
> of wasted disk space. The mail reader is already configured to move
> all
> mails from the mailing list to a separate folder so they at least
> doesn't fill up the standard inbox.

Whether the volume of mail on the mailing list depends on what system
(*nix or Windows) you're reading the messages & the speed of your
connection.

I can appreciate that if you're on dial-up then downloading 100 extra
messages each day is a pain, but if you're on a *nix system you can
store the messages in a maildir & set a cron job daily to delete
those over a month old (use `find -path ~/maildir/.path/to/mailbox/ -
mtime 28`, I think).

Stroller.