[mythtv-users] playback not smooth regardless of source

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 09:42:14 UTC 2007

On 3/1/07, Seth Daniel <mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org> wrote:
> I think you are on to something here.  I ran 'glxinfo' and it told me
> that Direct Rendering was 'no' and it showed that it was pulling in the
> MESA libs instead of the nvidia libs.  So I re-installed the nvidia
> driver and I did a few other things.  Now glxinfo shows that Direct
> Rendering is 'yes' and it pulls in the Nvidia libs.
>
> I turned on playback logging and searched for anything 'gl' or 'GL'
> related.  I didn't find anything so I searched for 'sync' or 'Sync' and
> didn't find anything then.  What should I be looking for here?  When I
> turned on 'all' logging I found where Myth was looking for the
> UseOpenGLVSync setting in mysql, but I found nothing else.  mysql does,
> in fact, say that this setting is '1'.

If its working, you should see something like:-

2006-01-15 08:56:23.967 OpenGLVideoSync: GLX extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
GLX_SGIX_pbuffer GLX_SGI_video_sync GLX_SGI_swap_control
GLX_ARB_multisample GLX_NV_float_buffer GLX_ARB_get_proc_address
2006-01-15 08:56:23.968 OpenGLVideoSync: x,y -> 361, 289
2006-01-15 08:56:24.076 Using OpenGLVideoSync

and slightly later:-

Video timing method: SGI OpenGL

> I may just be happy after a long but productive day at work but it seems
> the 1080i playback with the DVD got better once I fixed the GLX
> problems.  It's not perfect, but better.  Or so it seems.

I've been using the binary nvidia drivers for a while, so can't
comment on the performance of the open source versions. It wouldn't
surprise me though if your playback quality is better now.

The only other thing that came to mind earlier was that you're using a
custom 1080i modeline - while this may get a picture out of your tv,
it may not be exactly what the its expecting. You could try tweaking
it. It's a long shot though...

Regards

Mark