[mythtv-users] MythTV and HDTV future

Dylan Semler dylan.semler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 06:23:39 UTC 2007

On 2/28/07, Michael Rice <mikerice1969 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >From: "Kevin Ould" <crippler75 at gmail.com>
> >>Why must they make it so hard to use HD content on out Myth Boxes.
> >:-(
> From what I've been reading it seems unlikely that encrypted content from
> cable box will be usable on Linux due to the commercial nature of the copy
> protection.  If that is the case I will have to say goodbye to MythTV when
> want to go with HDTV.  I might want to keep MythTV for unencrypted content
> but have two DVR solutions probably won't help in WAF.

If you're optimistic, you might want to hold out to see what pchdtv has in
store.  From an interview with Jack Kelliher, the CEO of pchdtv (circa
January '07, I think)[1]:

>>*OA:* Can you give us a sneak peek at any future products that are in the
works at pcHDTV? >>What hardware goodies are coming up for the Linux crowd?
*>>JK:* We hope to have Linux solutions for Satellite and encrypted cable
television users some time >>this year as well as a solution for Europe and
other countries that don't support the ATSC

I think this article was posted on this list before.

Type faster.  Use Dvorak: