[mythtv-users] Stopped recording

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jun 30 19:49:25 UTC 2007

On 06/30/2007 03:37 PM, steve wrote:

> Hello all.  My MythTV has suddenly stopped recording new shows.  I
> investigated this a little and found two things that seemed to be off.
>

> First, the partition holding the video files is almost full with .mpg
> files.  Do the transcoded files not get deleted

In mythtv-setup:

Save original files after transcoding (globally)
When set and the transcoder is active, the original files will be
renamed to .old once the transcoding is complete.

> when you delete a show from the playlist?

I don't think you mean playlist.  I think you're talking about deleting
a show from the Watch Recordings/Delete Recordings screen.  If that's
the case, when you enable the option above, the ".old" files will not be
deleted.  You can safely do an "rm *.old" in the recordings directory
(unless you had kept the old files for some reason).

If, however, you're asking if the resultant transcoded file is deleted,
the answer is, yes.  The transcoded file replaces the original file as
the one MythTV manages.  So, when you watch the recording, you watch the
transcoded recording.  When you deleted it, you delete the transcoded
recording.  The original ".old" recording won't be deleted, though.

>  Most of these files are not for shows that are still in my playlist.

Again, I think you mean Watch Recordings screen.  If so, make sure you
verify they're not just filtered:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_Why_aren.27t_my_new_recordings_showing_up_in_Watch_Recordings.3F

> In any case, will I do any harm by logging in as root and just
> deleting these files?

Only if they are, in fact, in MythTV's database.  There's a script
myth.find_orphans.pl that will let you know.
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/export/13790/trunk/mythtv/contrib/myth.find_orphans.pl

> Second odd thing is that many of the shows I have scheduled to record
> are not coming up in my upcoming recordings list.

This may be because you don't have enough storage space and you've
disabled autoexpire on all your recordings.

>  I thought maybe the data service was down, so I checked and my
> subscription is good for another month.  So then just for grins I ran
> mythfilldatabase and it seemed to run normally, but then the very last
> line of output was “segmentation fault.”    Well, that doesn’t sound
> very good.

QT 3.3.8 bug, but not important.  It won't hurt anything.

Mike