[mythtv-users] mythbackend pid

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Jun 30 17:48:12 UTC 2007

On Jun 30, 2007, at 4:18 AM, A JM wrote:

> OK, so the PID file isn't of much use.
>
> How can I restart the backend from a crash I was going to try
> something like the following...
>
> #!/bin/bash
> while ( true ); do
> ./mythbackend
> done

Especially this part of the thread:
Try using /etc/inittab. <man inittab> will give you some hints. After
updating the inittab file, execute <telinit q> or reboot the system. My
inittab has these entries, which will re-start any of the processes if
they exit, and they are launched in run levels 2, 3, 4 & 5 (Ubuntu
system). Make sure the process does not run in the background, or it
will be continually re-launched and cause all sorts of trouble.

#
# MythTV stuff
mtvb:2345:respawn:su - mythtv -c "mythbackend -l /var/log/mythtv/
backend"
mtvl:2345:respawn:su - mythtv -c "mythlcdserver -l
/var/log/mythtv/lcdserver"
mtvd:2345:respawn:su - mythtv -c "mtd -n"

Now isn't it easier to just ask how to get to the result instead of
the next step in your logic? ;)