[mythtv-users] Guide Idea - Would You Trade Viewing Statistics (Privacy) for Guide Data?

Michael George mgeorge3 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 12:01:07 UTC 2007

Good Morning,

I've been reading the threads on zap2it pulling it's guide data due to
alleged "abuse".  I am not sure how you can abuse XML guide data, but I am
sure that MythTV now has a significant install base which may be on the
radar of companies that produce Living Room-Media Centers boxes.   I have
been wondering what do we as MythTV users (collectively) have of value that
we could trade for guide data?  I was cleaning this weekend and I found a
savings bond that I received from Nielsen ratings for participation on their
viewing board.

Yes! viewing statistics are worth money and companies will pay for this
information.

I have long maintained that "privacy and security are illusions", but
wondered how the MythTV base would feel about this trade.

Note: I have no authority to negotiate this deal and I am just proposing an
idea as a negotiating tool.

Take care,
-Michael