[mythtv-users] Zap2It - isn't this a two part problem?

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 22:21:16 UTC 2007

> Additionally, Chris mentioned that his station *buys back* it's EIT
> data source feed from Tribune, if I understood him properly.
>
> ===
>
> On a semi-related issue: cable.
>
> Cable systems can cause several non-obvious problems.
>
> Channel splitting is one that was mentioned here or on the other list.
> Failure to pass things like EIT/PSIP is another.  I'm sure we'll find
> more...

It seems to me that EIT data could be integrated as one source of data in a
larger listings distribution system.   In theory, only one person per market
needs to be receiving the EIT/ETT data for everybody in the market to
benefit.

I am not a lawyer and I can't give you permission to redistribute my
station's EIT data, but there is a strong case to be made that you don't
need our permission to do so.  It is data about our program stream that is
already broadcast in the clear to everyone in our viewing area.  It don't
see how either we or TMS could claim copyright infringement if someone were
to receive that data with an antennae and then email it to their friend
across town.

The idea of putting a box in our station to relay guide data to the internet
hardly seems necessary in light of the fact that we are already broadcasting
that data.

-Chris

--
TV/IT Engineer