[mythtv-users] Zap2It - isn't this a two part problem?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jun 29 18:07:50 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 09:39:02AM -0600, Chad wrote:
> Do all stations provide *some* EIT data?  If we could get generic
> listings (without descriptions) from a large source (screen scraping,
> stations directly, whatever) and then have EIT update those channels
> 24-48 hours ahead (depending on how much data the station actually
> provides, maybe even just 2 hours...) then we would be relatively ok
> since the EIT data would have the most accurate info to help deal with
> conflicts, repeats, etc.  The flaw in this is the expectation that
> every station provides any EIT data, which I assume from subscribers
> of cable, this isn't always available.

All ATSC digital stations are required to provide at least some limited
amount of EIT data, which I think Chris Ribe can provide an FCC reg to
define further.

I don't know what the deployment of digital is just now; I'm pretty
sure it's over 75% of stations and 85 or 90% of viewers.

But I suspect that some EIT streams -- like those from stations which
*aren't* currently fielding the sort of station management software
mentioned by our esteemed contributor from Seattle -- may be pretty
thin.

Additionally, Chris mentioned that his station *buys back* it's EIT
data source feed from Tribune, if I understood him properly.

===

On a semi-related issue: cable.

Cable systems can cause several non-obvious problems.

Channel splitting is one that was mentioned here or on the other list.
Failure to pass things like EIT/PSIP is another.  I'm sure we'll find
more...

Cheers,
-- jra