[mythtv-users] Signal strength, Freeview uk.

Gary Dawes gary.dawes at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 12:04:56 UTC 2007

Just to chuck my hat in the ring as well.

My setup for recording freeview is 3 freecom usb tuners, I get about 16% to
22% signal strength when I get a lock on all channels on all cards, if I
have a problem I get about a 65% signal and no lock. The 3 tuners each have
their own output on a 6 way distribution amp (from argos), and satelite
grade patch cables. The tuners are on the end of usb extension leads to try
and keep them away from the PC as much as I can.

strength is not the main thing, quality is. The best indicator of a decent
signal is the amount (if any) of signal breakups (glitchs) you get, I use
live tv for this and pause it for a few seconds before watching the
playback. If you have several tuners then set them to channels on the same
multiplex, as this will allow you to compare feeds. I have had 1 output on
an amp go bad and knock a single tuner off, also certainly on the freecoms,
the uhf connectors are a bit flakey and sensitive. BTW I also have 2 stbs
from Asda and they report about a 60-65% signal strength but do not glitch
at all, so those comparisions may not be very useful.

I was getting really bad glitching, which turned out to be a noisy
distribution amp. I'd recommend one as an active splitter if you need lots
of feeds like me (3 to myth, one to tv, and 2 to elsewhere), rather than a
signal amp, what you need there is a masthead amp at the aerial. I'd suggest
buying an amp from somewhere that will agree to let you return it of it does
not improve things for you.

I also get audio and video glitchs occasionally, which was really annoying
the Wife, but with all the rain lately the picture has been great,
indicating an aerial problem. this was fitted by the way by a pro about 3
years ago, but they only fitted a boggo aerial as we did not have freeview
at the time, and I wasn't about. Make sure athat you tell the installers how
many stbs / tuners you have and specify freeview explicitly and also request
sat grade cable. I'll be getting mine back out to check the connections and
possibly replace the lot.

Finally look at www.satcure.co.uk as they have a load of useful info.

Gary