[mythtv-users] Firewire DCT recording -> Myth?

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Fri Jun 29 03:38:15 UTC 2007

I have a DCT6416. I use an HDHomerun for unencrypted QAM, but
occasionally want to get a recording off an encrypted channel into myth.
5C is not an issue.

I have used myth treating the DCT6416 as a firewire tuner, and that
works with some reliability caveats. However, its not what I really
want. I don't want to tie up the whole DCT during the recording.

What I really want to do is let the DCT do its own recording, and then
play it back for myth over firewire at a time the DCT is not in use.

It would be nice to be able to automate that, but as far as I know the
only commands that can be issued over firewire are channel changes. I
guess something could be done over IR, but it would be a real unreliable
mess navigating through the menus over a balky IR.

Right now I would settle for doing it manually. I have done this with
"custom record", but this has a 5 minute granularity on start time, and
  wants to do an extraneous channel change. If I preposition the DCT to
be ready to play the recording, the channel change loses it. Then there
is the matter of trying to associate the metadata that myth knows (or
maybe knew) with the recording.

Has anyone worked out a better way?