[mythtv-users] FW:HD TV's Slow Addoption

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jun 28 15:32:12 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Jun 27, 2007, at 6:54 PM, David George wrote:
>> Set top box, DRM?  I am not back in any boat from before cable-ready
>> TVs.  I don't have a set top box and I receive HDTV on my Myth box
>> just
>> fine.  Or are you referring to getting HDTV over cable?  If so,
>> that has
>> more to do with QAM than anything to do with HDTV.  Even SDTV channels
>> are being sent using QAM with digital cable.
>
> Yeah, I'm referring to HDTV over cable because that's what most
> people are going to be getting.  Most people don't want to mess with
> antenna towers and rotators, these days, even if their neighborhood
> association will let them erect something like that.

Amazing how that 'myth' will not die. In the US, Federal Regulations
override all neighbourhood, city, county and state proscriptions which
purport to deny someone the right to erect an antenna.

In Canada, the Minister of Communications has power to control all
aspects of antennas for broadcasting towers, but there has never been an
assertion of complete control by regulation over receiving antennas. So
some municipalities have used Planning Act powers and bylaws to control
the siting and height of antennas. I don't think that that has ever been
litigated, so it is possible that there are local limitations in Canada.

And condominiums and rented premises are in another regime entirely.
Even condo's are a problem in that balconies are ofter classified as
part of the common area even though 'exclusive use' and no owner is
allowed to attach anything to common area structures...

Antenna constructor meet minefield....

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury

        Helping with the HTTP issue