[mythtv-users] Partitioning Recomendations

Ben Edwards funkytwig at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 12:03:49 UTC 2007

On 26/06/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 04:12:26PM +0100, Mike Perkins wrote:
> > > It may be just *my* paranoia, but I've seen too many runaway log files in
> > > the past, so I make /var a separate partition.
>
> You're not as paranoid as me: I make */var/log* a separate partition.

Thats what I did, but left the rest of var in /.

/tmp is the tricky one.  On one hand it is useful if it can
grow/shrink a log so symlinking it to /myth seems like a good idea.
On the other hand if anyone gets access to your box with any user they
can fill it up.  Its a VERY bad idea having it in /tmp.

I think the best idea is probably to symlink it to /myth and use
quotas, but not looked into quotas yet.

Ben

> Cheers,
> -- jra
> --
> Jay R. Ashworth                   Baylink                      jra at baylink.com
> Designer                     The Things I Think                       RFC 2100
> Ashworth & Associates     http://baylink.pitas.com                     '87 e24
> St Petersburg FL USA      http://photo.imageinc.us             +1 727 647 1274

Ben Edwards - Bristol, UK
If you have a problem emailing me use
http://www.gurtlush.org.uk/profiles.php?uid=4
(email address this email is sent from may be defunct)