[mythtv-users] FW:HD TV's Slow Addoption

David George david at thegeorges.us
Thu Jun 28 01:54:45 UTC 2007

On 06/27/2007 06:24 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
> The color transition also didn't involve a new DRM system that forced
> people to rent a set-top box instead of using the tuner in their TV
> set.  (With HDTV, we're essentially back in the same boat we were in
> before "cable-ready" TVs existed.  It's a giant step backwards in
> that regard.)
Set top box, DRM?  I am not back in any boat from before cable-ready
TVs.  I don't have a set top box and I receive HDTV on my Myth box just
fine.  Or are you referring to getting HDTV over cable?  If so, that has
more to do with QAM than anything to do with HDTV.  Even SDTV channels
are being sent using QAM with digital cable.
>   Nor did it require them to master new and confusing
> channel naming systems or deal with an array of different
> interconnect cables.  It was an easy transition, and easy to sell.
> It was also taken up quickly by broadcasters, partly because
> advertisers were wiling to pay more for color ads.

<sarcasm>Um, I agree, entering 4.1 (or 4-1) to get to channel 4 is just
too hard to get used to.</sarcasm> :-) But then again I don't watch live
TV much so I don't really enter channels.

--
David